Tanzania Sugar Industry dates back to the 1920’s and 30 with smallholder cane juggery production in Kilombero and Mtibwa valleys. Production of granular sugar dates from 1931 at Arusha Chini by M/s A.S. Tanganyika Planting Company and later at Karangai- Bukoba and Turiani in Morogoro region.
After independence in 1961, the Government initiated strategies to strengthen production at commercial scale, thereby, witnessing establishment of the Msolwa sugar factory at Kilombero.
Government nationalization of private firms in 1967 saw the National Food Corporation (NAFCO) taking charge of the development of the sugar sector; resulting into establishment of the Mtibwa sugar Estates in 1973 and Ruembe Sugar Factory (Kilombero II) in 1976.The small Kagera sugar plant damaged by war in 1978 was also re-erected into a large sugar plant commissioned in 1982.
In 1974, Government established the Sugar Development Corporation (SUDECO) in place of NAFCO to develop the sugar industry and handle sugar distribution, exportation and importation. In 1992, Sugar trade was liberalized followed by privatization of the sugar companies starting with Kilombero in 1997/98, in 1998/99 Mtibwa, TPC 2000/01 and finally Kagera in 2001/2002
List of Factories in Tanzania