Sugar Board of Tanzania
Sugar Cane Irrigation
For better execution of sugar importation procedures, a special Technical committee on Sugar importation will be responsible.
- The Board shall determine and specify the maximum quantity of sugar needed to be imported during the period of twelve months.
- The advertisement on the same shall be made in local newspapers and shall invite interested eligible sugar importers/traders to apply for import licenses and shall indicate the last day for receiving applications.
Unregistered (sugar) importers should include following information with their applications.
- Name of business, directors and owners.
- Permanent correspondence addresses.
- Principal location of business.
- Branches or depots and their locations.
- Address and location of business agents.
- Type of trade & merchandise.
- Quantity and quality of sugar imported for the last three years, if any.
- Copies of TIN, VAT registration certificate and Trading license.
- Proof of access to TFDA approved storage facility.
- Applicants shall state the quantity of sugar they will import in the stated importation window, submit latest TRA tax clearance certificate, and a letter of comfort from their banker about capacity to undertake the importation and clearance.
- The Board shall process every application for a license within thirty days after receipt of the application and shall publish the list of successful applicants in local newspapers.
- An import levy of US$ 3 per ton is applicable. The issue of waiver of import tariff is under consideration by the government. It is the responsibility of importers to pay all applicable taxes.
- The imported sugar will be sold in Tanzania for direct consumption only ( non industrial); Colour in ICUMSA Units, Max 1300. Quality Conformance to TBS and TFDA requirements is responsibility of importer. Goods will be inspected on arrival, and should be accompanied by appropriate quality certificates.
- The importation shall be governed by the provisions of the Sugar Industry Act. No. 26 of 2001 as amended and Sugar Industry Regulations, 2010 relating to importation of sugar.